Monday, January 19, 2009

I don't wanna go to school.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. It's another holiday that all the government buildings are closed here but we don't have the day off of school. I don't actually have a day off until March 13th. I don't have a saturday off for 4 weeks. Woo hoo, 4 more weeks of home basketball games, then two weekends off, and it's regionals. Nothing like being the pep band director.
Speaking of pep band, it's been going better. The first weekend was a little rough but this last weekend went really well. I've neglected to hand out the Star Spangled Banner (really I just forgot and it's on my list of things to do this week) so I've sang it the last two weekends. My best performance was probably last Friday. I got so antsy waiting for the veterans to march down the court, that when I started it, it was kinda high. Not too high that I couldn't sing it, but it was higher than I had intended to sing it. It left a lot of people in awe. Several people came up and talked to me after the game about it. I didn't know that being able to sing the National Anthem here would almost make you a celebrity. It has also begun to bring all the single guys out of the woodwork. I wish they'd go back. Just between Friday and Saturday, I've been hit on and asked out more than twice. I've been stopped on the street for people to talk to me. Maybe I'll just stay in my house and hide there forever.
Wait....hiding in my house won't work. Not just because I have to work, but also because half of my house isn't currently heated. I got home Saturday from the basketball game to find that I was running out of heating oil, which meant the heater in my living room wasn't happy. At least the heat in my bedroom works, because that's electric. Calling the gas station is on my list of things to do today. Hopefully I can get a ride out there to pay for it so that they'll come today and put heater oil in the tank. All things considered, a hundred gallons has lasted me since the middle of October and we did have quite a cold spell.
This weekend, the weather has been great. It's been sunny and about 45 degrees. So yesterday I went for a walk, finally three hours later I got home. It was a great walk. Then I was home about an hour and I walked for another 45 minutes or so. All and all, I probably walked about 4 hours yesterday. Not too bad.
Well I think I'm going to get ready to go to work because sitting in a chilly house really doesn't appeal to me. I think it's 50 degrees in my house.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Poor Becki.

I have inservice... not school but inservice. It's all good... except it is so beautiful today I would rather be outside...
Either way... I have school tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday, 1/2 day on Friday, and Pepband Friday and Saturday...
We DON'T plat the SSB because our version sucks! I am currently re writing it in hopes of making it better... I really need Sibelius on my personal school computer, not the one in my classroom, so I can write it wherever I am... not just when I am at school!

Anyway,

Have a great day! And I hope your house gets heated soon!

Kudos!

Tasha

TAT19540 said...

So the men are coming out of the woodwork hey so that's a problem? You live on an Island were do you think you're going to hide?
Good to see you are walking I have been doing good on being the leaner mommie for you.
On pres. day we have a whole -10 outside here so I don't hear how warm the last frontier is!
Was there any doubt that you are talented?