Sunday, February 1, 2009

Absolutely Hilarious...sort of

From the high school doors. Thanks Nicole
Up closer. Thanks again Nicole

Well it's been another fun week here in the middle of nowhere, or at least an interesting one. Now school hasn't been really exciting expect that Monday I found out that I was getting observed the next day. This wouldn't be too bad except it's my worst class. Luckily they were well behaved. I got a good evaluation. I have another one this coming week, but it'll be the high school band.
Pep band has been pretty good. We're sounding decent and are having a good number of students show up. I even ordered the pep band shirts. I've also applied for some grants. I can hope we get some money.
Friday was an exciting day as shown by the pictures above. Thursday night / early Friday we had high winds with gust over 80 mph. About 1AM while the police were making their rounds, they noticed that the ferry wasn't there. The line had snapped and it was going out to sea. It grounded on a small rocky island in the bay. You could see it from the school. By the time school started, the entire district was buzzing about the ferry. Finally just before high tide they got the ferry off the rocks, with the help of some tug boats. Needless to say we are without the regular ferry for awhile. They towed it into Ketchikan so that it can be repaired. Now we are down to one ferry run a day by the inter island ferry. So if you want to leave you have to spend the night in Ketchikan and take the ferry back the next day. Hopefully they get the ferry fixed soon. It's not like I have any plans for leaving the island anytime too soon. I still have two more weekends of basketball games. It's always an adventure here.

2 comments:

TAT19540 said...

So glad to hear you are having fun! You'll have to send pics on your tied dyed pep band shirts! We love you Becki.

Tasha said...

Wow! Those pictures are CRAZY! I've never seen anything like that in real life before! Amazing! I hope they get your ferry up and running very soon so that you can come visit me over spring break! My break is only a 3 day weekend! Can you believe that?!?