Saturday, March 21, 2009

Regionals, Spring break, and snow

Oops, it's been a while since I wrote on my blog. It's due temporary insanity, better known as life here in southeast Alaska.
I made it through Regionals with only minor scarring. I took 4 band students and we had a great time. I haven't played that much in a long time. I rocked out on the tuba, the trumpet and the COW BELL. My students think I'm weird. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a video up on youtube of me singing Hey Baby when the Sitka band played. I don't care. I'm weird and I know it. I had a pretty good time. I'm looking forward to taking my band, all 11 of them, to music fest in about a month. It'll be a blast.
Upon arriving home from regionals, I discovered that I'd run out of heating oil. Oops. I borrowed a space heater from a family from church and made sure I ordered more heating oil Monday. I also discovered that my freezer had stopped working. Isn't that exciting? Monday I called the gas station to order heating oil and my landlord to tell them about the freezer. Meanwhile, the fridge section decided it didn't want to work either. Tuesday, I locked myself out of my house and had to walk up to my landlords to get a spare key, walk home, unlock the door, and walk the spare key back to my landlord. I turned the fridge on the coldest setting, it's almost keeping things cold. My week kinda went on like that. Finally Friday we had our first day of spring break. I went to Ketchikan to look through the music library at the high school. I had a great time hanging out. I spent the night over at the band director's house. She and her husband have a 3 year old who is adorable. It was fun. I was supposed to head up to Wrangell on Sunday but Tasha called me and she had influenza. So we decided it was best if I didn't go up to visit her. Instead Saturday afternoon I went back to the island.
Everyday this week it has snowed. It's currently snowing. I know I live in Alaska but really, it's the first day of spring. And you can ask anyone here, this isn't typical. Yesterday it was nice enough to go do somethings outside. I've spent the week kinda cleaning my house. Kinda. My kitchen is clean, my living room is almost done, and the rest of the house isn't too bad. Yesterday afternoon a couple of friends showed up at my house and said they were there to see if I wanted to go to a party. It was awesome. We had good food, good company, and we played some fun games. We played dominoes, pit, and catch phrase. It was hilarious. I didn't take my phone with me because it's not that important. I missed 6 text messages and about 5 phone calls. Oh well. I also came home to a note from my landlord. I called them because they had checked the fridge and could find anything wrong with it. I explained that everything in my freezer was now freezer burned and my fridge was on the coldest setting and wasn't keeping things cold. Hopefully that's enough to get a new fridge. But with the weather being the way it is right now, I don't see it happening today. I appreciate the layed back attitude of the island but somethings need to have more of a sense of urgency. Oh well. I've lived two weeks now with a fridge on the fritz, what's a couple more days.
I know, I have a weird outlook on things. It's not the end of the world.
So this entire break, I've gone to bed at about my usual time and I've slept in to about 7 o'clock. This is of course after waking up at 5:30AM and rolling over and going back to sleep. My body doesn't know what vacation is anymore. That's sad.
In other news, I have my plane tickets to come home for the summer. Two months of me terrorizing the lower 48. It'll be fun!!!!
Oh and I finally (after 8 months) got my two bookcases together and painted.

2 comments:

TAT19540 said...

Yeah a Becki post! So nice to hear you are having fun. You get the weirdness from your father's side! Good luck in the fridge department. We luv u Becki!

Life In a Blended Family said...

and I just got to meet you and I do not think you are weird at all...