Saturday, September 13, 2008

A weekend away

It's currently 4:30 in the morning here in Craig, Alaska. I'm wide awake and not totally sure why. Maybe it's because I'm usually awake at 5, maybe it's because I was sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor in the high school library, who knows. Yesterday after lunch I, along with the volleyball and cross country teams, boarded the ferry to Ketchikan, then transferred ferries to go to Hollis. Total time on the ferry about 4 1/2 hours. Then we got in either a van or a bus and drove to Craig, which is 30 miles from the ferry stop. Why, you might ask, am I in Craig with two teams that I don't coach? I'm chaperoning. Cross country needed a female chaperone. I'm still not completely sure why I went but I'm not complaining, I got off the island for the weekend. Last night after arriving in Craig, the volleyball team had their first set of games. Each match was very close but the nighted ended 1-3. Today volleyball has another set of games and cross country has their match. Then tomorrow morning we get on the ferry, which I believe leaves at 8 AM, arrive in Ketchikan at about 11 AM, find something to do for 5 hours, and then board the 4:30 ferry to Metlakatla. After we get back at 6 PM, it's time to write lesson plans so that I can submit them for Monday. Did I mention that the school sent me on this trip, but there was a miscommunication so I didn't have a sub for my last two periods of the day. Oh well, it's over and done with now.
I'm convinced that Fridays are my worst day of the week. You would think that because it's almost the weekend I'd be glad to see the last school day of the week. It's sad but in the first three weeks of school, I've disliked Fridays the most. Fridays seem to be the day of more chaos and upset administration. I've even had the 'why am I doing this again?' days or the 'I'm here why?' feelings. I'm sure it'll pass. For the most part I really enjoy my job, there are just days. But it's like that in most jobs, everyone has days where they don't like their job. Mine just happen to be Fridays.
It is pretty here in Craig. The scenery is very nice. It's green and hilly. This island is bigger than the one I live on. I guess that was obvious when I mentioned that we had to drive 30 miles, Metlakatla doesn't have 30 miles of anything. I think the island that Metlakatla is on is 20 miles by 12 miles, this is much bigger. Ok, so if you went around most of the coast you could go 30 miles. It's interesting.
Well it's now 5 AM and I think I might try to find something else to do. Till next time.

2 comments:

SHUO said...

I really appreciate your way thinking of teaching life because I'm gonna be a teacher down the road.^^

Butler Family said...

Everything will be fine and get better. If you need to talk I am here for you:)