Sunday, November 2, 2008

What's going on?

Daylight's savings time has arrived and unlike the rest of the state we don't observe it. So don't ask me what time it is. My watch says one thing and my cell phone says something else and I can't figure out how to change my cell phone. Of course when I go to Ketchikan it'll be an hour different than it is here. It will be fun to figure out the ferry schedule. Also now church is at 11 AM here instead of 10AM because we have it piped in from Ketchikan. I'm sure I get used to it but it'll take a while.
So I got back into town on Thursday. The ferry was about 15 minutes late getting in. Stephanie, my AD, felt bad that she forgot to pick me up. I just started to walk, I got about half a mile, and someone picked me up. This happens quite often here. I got home, checked my mail, and stopped by the high school. I went back home and took a nap so that I was a little less dead for parent-teacher conferences. Just in case any of you reading this haven't talked to me in the last several days, I lost my voice while I was in Haines (and it has steadily been coming back) but trying to talk to anyone has been a bit of an adventure. I went up to the high school during conferences because people usually don't make the trek down to the music building. I talked to several parents and my A.D. (who felt really bad for forgetting to pick me up from the ferry). Then I talked to the english teacher down at the middle school (Kathy) about my week away. Home was my next stop and I went straight to bed.
Friday was an interesting day, mostly because I came back to a room that had been messed up. Trashed might be too harsh of a word for it, but it certainly felt that way. I was also informed that the sub didn't really follow any of my sub plans. Joy! I also got notes back from one of the subs disagreeing with the sub plans and then stating what they did instead. Come to find out, that my 7th grade class was also shown a rated R movie. This was not what was listed to do on the sub plans. What in the world is going on here. My elementary students were awesome on Friday though, especially with it being Halloween.
Friday night and Saturday late afternoon, I was a referee at the last regular season volleyball games. I happened to be 1st referee, which means I got to stand up on the stand next to the net. Friday went fairly well but Saturday was a different story. It was sort of a nightmare. When did a game become more than just a game? Why was the line judge calling balls out when they were really in? Why were so many people arguing with me? Why did the line judge call a tip, at the net, when she is at the end of the court and I was at the net? (There was no tip). Well add this to the list of things my AD feels sorry about to me (which once again I told her not to worry about). She came over last night after I got home from playing at a funeral to apologize. I told her not to worry about it. She insisted on taking me out for ice cream. We talked, got ice cream, and I told her not to worry about it. It's not the end of the world. She really has so many things put on her (and she's a really great person and deals with it all so well) that I don't worry about it.
Did I also mention that Saturday and today I've slept in till like 8AM (I never sleep in that late)? I also copied some new pep band music yesterday. The week ahead holds lots of Christmas music. It is now time to buckle down and work on the Christmas program. I should also figure out what I'm going to cook today.
I'm off to church and then I need to do some cleaning around my house. Laundry and dishes would be good things to get done.

4 comments:

Butler Family said...

Wow the whole time difference thing seems so CONFUSING there. But with all that I have read it seems like you really LOVE what you do there and love bing away from here!! lol even though we miss ya tons!! Thanks for keeping us all updated

Scott and Stacia said...

No time difference huh?? Enjoy figuring that one out! I am glad you are back and have a bed to sleep in! Sorry about the volleyball game--how strange for the others to be making calls that you should have been the one to determine. Oh and that your sub didn't do what you requested--again strange. My husband is a teacher and a coach so I can imagine the frustrations there! Hope you are able to get many good night sleeps in your bed :) Enjoy your adventure! -Stacia

TAT19540 said...

What are you nuts!? Here you are on an island with only two ways off and you think parents actually like the refree? You're lucky your gardenian angels were watching out for you and protected you from being lynched.
I do think that it needs to be brought to Adminisrtation's attention that your sub DID NOT follow your plans and they showed an "R" rated film to under age children. Also that they didn't respect you enough as a collegue to keep you class room from being trashed ( another thing to bring up). I know you have limitations on who you can get to sub but they must have some guide lines that Subs are required to follow.
Glad to see you are having so much "fun".

Tasha said...

What the heck? You are like 80 miles from me in the SAME STATE... and you don't observe the time change? What the hell? Is Met so special that they deserve their own time thing? geeze!

Hope you are well!