Sunday, October 18, 2009

Drama, drama, drama

That should explain it all. All there seems to be in my life is drama. Ok, that's not completely true. My personal life is just wonderful. My friends aren't causing me stress, neither is my boyfriend (thankfully when I talk to him it relieves the stress). The drama is all just work related. I feel there is a witch hunt and I'm the witch. It all started when the high school principal decided I didn't need to go to Honors Festival. He felt I'd be missing too much time. Not only do I have a student going but I have responsibilities there too. Obviously that's not really important. That drama is still going on and Honors fest is next week. I was pretty much told that they felt that it was too hard to find a sub for me. What?????
Last Tuesday I had my first formal observation by the high school principal. What a joy. NOT! At least he sent me an email about it the day before. (I really hope that the elementary principal does my second observation). I had my meeting with the principal on Thursday, because I used a sick day on Wednesday (stupid fever and headache). Apparently I'm too nice and friendly, and I give too much praise. Huh????? *I raised an eyebrow at this* (I really don't get it). Then the conversation turned back to Honors fest (let's beat that one to death some more). He went on about how it is done is Oregon (where he's from) and on and on and on. Wait, I thought I lived in Alaska....when did we become Oregon. When did what works there work here? This is Southeast Alaska, nothing is the same here as it is anywhere else outside of Alaska.
Then went on and on and on about something not related to him at all. Sorry last time I checked I had an elementary principal. So the high school principal has nothing to do with the k-6 end of my job, but he seems to think he does. Then he went on about my numbers and how I couldn't blame the schedule. HELLO!!!! I can blame the schedule, there about 10 students that can't be in the music program during the regular school day because of the scheduling. I see most of these kids after school on my own time. I also explained how I have no feeder program at the elementary and how I've been trying to get one for as long as I've been her, but that's been shot down too. Does he not realize the amount of work that I do as one person. Apparently not. Anyway, then he told me how the school board and administration are not happy with me and if my numbers aren't up by the semester they are going to terminate me. What!?!?! I don't even know where to start with that one. That's a big thing to speak for the school board, considering from what I hear the school board likes me. Also, I can't control my numbers. Hello the schedule!!! I have a year long contract, they can't terminate me without buying me out. (unless I'm doing something illegal I suppose which I'm not) Now if they really want to get rid of me then why don't they just buy me out now and let me go somewhere else. Don't worry the union is involved in this. I'm telling you witch hunt. The only reason I go to my job is to work with the wonderful kids that I see everyday. I really like the students. My job can be a lot of fun, it's also a lot of work. I keep looking for the positive in life. One last little negative note, I don't know if the pep band is going to Regionals or if the band and choir are going to Music Fest.
On a positive note, I'm going to the National Orff Conference in Milwaukee in November. I'm taking my personal days to go because more school drama. I'm going to spend 3 1/2 days in Anchorage visiting the wonderful man in my life that I haven't seen since the beginning of August. Then I fly to Chicago to stay with my family (and drive my car) for the duration of the conference. It's going to be a little hectic but the Orff Conference is always fun. I'm looking forward to the time off. Everything else is going pretty well. We've had some great rainbows here. I've got some great teacher friends and great other friends. I wish I got to see everyone more often. I'm planning a road trip for the summer to drive my car from Illinois to Alaska. By then I will have lived two years without it and I think that I will probably need it by then. We'll see what happens.

No comments: