Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 2

In the morning we went to Mt. Rushmore. It was cool, but it is a big rock with faces carved in it. I did get some great pictures, which I will get up here as soon as I can find the card reader. I think it's in the truck. After mom going the wrong way out of the park (laugh hard now) we had to turn around. On the upside I got to see mountain goats. After that we went back to the 10% down grade. Mom doesn't like any kind of down grade, she's lived in the Midwest too long.

Back on I-90, we ran into a lot of construction. Boo. It was interesting though to see the difference from construction in Illinois to the construction in other states. Wow I sound like a nerd, but when you grow up with some one who does road construction, you know way too much about it. Finally we made it into Wyoming and I fell asleep for about half the state. The only really interesting thing that I saw until we hit about Sheridan was the antelope out grazing on the side of the road. Oh and the people in Wyoming grow hay in the median. Finally in northern Wyoming the scenery was nice. We saw some mountains and a lot of cattle. Did I mention yet that mom doesn't like driving in the mountains.

We got into Montana and stopped at Little Bighorn, mostly because I really like American history and I was driving. Back on the road, nothing very exciting happened. In Billings there was a cloud of coal dust hanging over most of the town. Mom went back to driving and I'm pretty sure I went back to sleep. I don't really remember, which means I probably was asleep. It was pretty uneventful besides some really great mountains. Once again I took pictures. Then we got into the mountains. Mom doesn't like mountains. Needless to say driving through Butte was fun. It is quite a big town, or at least all the lights make it look that way. Finally we were getting close to our evening destination of Missoula. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep again for a little while and woke up to us going down some interesting and very steep, curvy road. I'm pretty sure Mom was white knuckling the steering wheel. Of course it's hard to tell in the dark, but as many times as she hit the brakes hard, which I don't recommend in any kind of steep condition, I know she wasn't happy. It's pretty sad when you start counting down on the mile markers till your exit.

Well now we just have a little bit of Montana, the top of Idaho, and the whole state of Washington to drive through. It's about 560 miles till Bellingham from Missoula. Well shortly we will be getting back on the road.

No comments: