Friday, July 25, 2008

Still not quite unpacked

Well we got into Metlakatla on Sunday afternoon. We had about an hour and a half between ferries so we went to Walmart in Ketchikan. It's the smallest one I've ever been to and they by far have the cleanest bathrooms of any Walmart I've been to. We picked up a few things and then waited for the ferry. It is an hour and a half ferry ride from Ketchikan to Metlakatla. It was pretty and very uneventful. My landlord met us at the ferry stop and took us to my house. It's a good thing because I've only seen one street sign in the whole town. I don't know if people even know themselves what streets are what but pretty much everyone knows where everyone lives. It's quite unique to me. After we got in, we got a tour of the house and then my landlord gave us a whirlwind tour of the town. I do mean whirlwind, I think the only places I remembered how to get to from there were the post office and the hardware store. Upon getting back, mom and I started to unload the uhaul. We stopped when it started to rain harder. We unloaded the entire uhaul by ourselves. So of course after that we were beat.
Monday we took to uhaul back to Ketchikan and experienced the public transportation. You can ride the bus for a dollar and get an all day pass for two. It's pretty awesome. Mom and I went to Walmart and to A&P for some groceries. Then it was back to the ferry. We then worked on unpacking.
Tuesday I went and set up my utilities and went to the post office. I also went and introduced myself at the superintendent's office. I've never lived anywhere that I had to apply for residency and a work permit, but that is part of living on a reservation. Everyone is very nice. The district has a new superintendent and a new high school principal. When we got home, we continued to unpack.
Wednesday we explored a little more of town. We went to the hardware store which was unlike any hardware store I'd ever been in. The sell just about everything. We then went to the local grocery store and got a few things like vegetables. It was kinda expensive, but not too bad, and it is an island after all. We unpacked some more.
Thursday, I don't know that we were as productive as we could've been but eventually Mom had to go to the ferry stop. Which is the only thing in town that is far to walk to. It's probably about 2 miles away. (Maybe it's a mile and a half). We started walking there and got most of the way when my neighbor stopped and asked it we wanted a ride to the ferry. We took him up on it. Well mom did at least. I had walked my bike with so I left mom in the care of my neighbor and biked home.
I'm still waiting for cable hookup, so I've watched about half of the dvds that I own. I still have a few boxes to unpack but some of them have to wait until I get the bookcases that my dad made for me put together. Otherwise I have some straightening to do and some organizing. I'll probably take my bike out for a spin today too.

No comments: