Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 2 of inservice

It was a long day in the world of inservices. We were supposed to start at 8 AM but because of some travel things with our presenter, they moved it to 9 AM. This just meant I have about an hour in my room and I found more things to throw away. I'm really enjoying that. After some time there I went to the Elementary gym, it's really more of an all purpose room, for the activities of the day.
They have brought in an interesting speaker. The information is good and how he presents it is good. He reminds me of some of the speakers at workshops I've attended. My only downfall is that I have no idea how I will apply what we've been doing to my teaching. I think the material is great for general ed teachers who see their students at least three times a week. I'm just not afforded that luxury. The only students I see that often are the high school band and choir and the eighth grade band. There is no way that I can afford to spend the amount of suggested time out of rehearsal time on vocabulary instead of playing. I am in no way apposed to what we've been learning about I'm just having problems with the application in my situation. We were there from 9-12, were fed lunch, and back from 1-3:30. It's a long day in metal folding chairs, we do get a couple breaks and very often we are up and moving around but it's still long. Today we will be there from 8-12, be fed lunch, and 1-3:30. I think I may bring a pillow to sit on. Then Thursday and Friday, the K-8 teachers have two days of inservices while the 9-12 teachers have work days. I get work days. This is good because I think I'm re-inventing the wheel.
If you haven't caught up on the saga called the music curriculum, I'll fill you in. The only general music books left in my classroom are the 2002 edition of Making Music. I have at least one teacher book for each grade level K-6. I have a student edition for 1-6, and they don't make a student edition for kindergarten. I have the piano accompaniment book for k-3. I have resource books for K-3 (I think). Those last two I know I have the resource books for at least K-2, but I think I have them for K-3. I do not have any of the corresponding audio music that goes with, nor do I have any amount of audio music that is not on a record. I haven't gone through the records to see what is there and if it's usable. I need to find a way to convert the records over to a different format, MP3 would be ideal. I also just found out that there are more guitars over at the high school. Some of them need new strings but we could have a guitar class. I've never tried to re-invent the wheel nor do I really want to but I don't know what else to do so that I can have a productive and successful music class. Not to mention the K-2 classes I only see once a week for 30 minutes and 3-6 I see twice a week for 30 minutes. Like many K-12 jobs, there really needs to be a second music teacher just so that the students get more time in music. It used to be that way but I don't really know what happened. I will do the best that I can with what I have because that's what I can do and we can still have a great music program. It's going to be a lot of work, but most jobs are, and it'll be great.
Well it's off to another day of inservice and more writing curriculum.

No comments: