Thursday, August 21, 2008

Days 3 and 4 of inservice

Yesterday we had another all day workshop. It was more of similar things to what we had done the day before. It was very informative but I don't totally know how I'll use it. Once again they fed us lunch it was Italian. There was a great salad, it had a little of everything. It had tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, green peppers, snap peas, etc. We had lasagna, garlic bread, and for dessert cookies. After we got out of inservice in the afternoon we had more classroom time. I was at the high school to work on a few things.

Today the K-8 teachers had workshops and the 9-12 teachers had a work day, it'll be the same tomorrow. I had a workday. I did a little work on my room and then we had a meeting at the high school. We broke for lunch, which was on our own, then returned to have another meeting and then time in our rooms. I spent the afternoon with the drama teacher fixing stage lights. I also worked on my band and choir contracts and my curriculum. The Spanish teacher also found a filing cabinet that I could have and it turns out it used to be a music filing cabinet. It also has two drawers full of music in it. That's getting moved to my room. It'll be interesting to see what we have in there.
Today while working briefly in my room, I found copies of old purchase orders from 97-98 where there was general music items ordered. Lots of items ordered. Many of these items must be in a black hole because I can't find them. Hmmm.
I did approach my superintendent about my plight of re-inventing the wheel and we're going to work on a plan so that I don't have to try to do that all year. He wants me to get things planned for the start of the year and then we'll try to improve the situation. Have I mentioned how much I like my administration. I spoke with the high school principal today about the band program and he was very receptive of the idea of starting band in 6th grade. This obviously wouldn't happen this year. Now to eventually run the idea past the rest of the administration.

Now to make dinner and continue my curriculum writing efforts.

No comments: