Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm so sick of cleaning

Well it's been way to long since I've written here but in my defense I've been so incredibly busy. Starting last Monday I began working on my classroom. Initially walking into my room it didn't look to bad but it was really warm, then I went farther. I found out that someone had turned the heat up in the bathrooms to 90 degrees and left the bathroom doors open. I corrected that problem and opened the doors to the outside and the only window that would open. I next decided to find what I had. My office and the two storage rooms were packed full of stuff and looked about like a tornado went through. It was obviously that there was no organization to the area. I started to pull things out of my office so that I could start the organization process. I did that for a couple hours and then decided to break for lunch. I went back to the administration office to tell them I was going but I'd be back, since they had let me into the building. The superintendent's secretary directed me to the person who was in control of the keys. If you could judge the amount of work you had to do off of the amount of keys that you possess for that job, it might be time to turn and run when you have more keys than administration does. To be specific, I was handed a lanyard with 12 keys, yes that's right I said 12. This would be the point that in cartoons the main character ran away. Ok, in my situation, I should have ran away when I saw my classroom, but I'm what my parents refer to as a fire eater. The term fire eater here means that you can send this person into a situation and not only will they survive it but thrive in it. I'm glad that there is so much faith in my ability.
The entire week, except Thursday, I spent all day in my classroom organizing. The only time I left was to go check my mail and go home and eat lunch. Afterwards I'd return to the mess. I found general music books from the 1970's, the 80's, the early 90's, the 2002 editions. Do we honestly need books that old? When I left Friday, I had cataloged all of the choral music and was figuring out a solution on how to file it. Either Tuesday or Wednesday I met the elementary principal. He's very nice. He gave me the tour of the elementary building.
Thursday was a town holiday. It was Founder's Day. Now I think I've mentioned it before but I'll reiterate it, nothing here gets going any too early. The parade started at noon and went through town. It was the shortest parade I've ever seen but there were the typical veterans, fire trucks, people in costumes, along with two different groups of native dancers. It was very awesome. Instead of throwing candy the only thing thrown were boxes of poppers. (The fireworks that you throw at the ground and they make a popping noise.) Speaking of fireworks, you buy way cooler fireworks here. Where the parade ended, also known as the ball park even though there is nothing resembling a ball park there, there were booths set up with crafts and different types of food. It was pretty neat. There was also some native dancing done. It was a big town party. In the evening they set off fireworks, they did this till probably after midnight. I fell asleep sometime during it. I truly can sleep through anything.
After a quiet weekend, I returned back to school to continue work on my classroom. Monday I filed the choral music. One project down, too many more to go. In the afternoon the junior high/high school principal stopped by. He's also nice. We'll see how much he like me after I turn in purchase orders. I don't actually have a budget because I cover the whole district so depending on what grade level I need things for is who's budget it comes out of. It would be nice to have a figure to work with instead of turning in purchase orders and hoping that I can get what I need. I did however get permission to get rid of the old textbooks. Yay!!!
After finishing the bulk of the choir music, since there are a few odds and ends like music that was in a box that was left unfiled from last year or earlier, I moved to the instrumental music. I spent today sorting it and filing it. I did not however catalog it. I figure that I need to continue making progress on my room for the next several day. If I get as much as I can organized, I can spend my evenings of inservice week working on curriculum. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. The only thing I know about my schedule, since I can't get a straight answer about anything, is that I have k-2 for 30 minutes a week (so I see them once a week), 3rd-6th for 60 minutes a week (2 times a week for 30 minutes), 7th, 8th, and high school band, and high school choir. In there somewhere I have a 30 minute planning time and a 30 minute lunch. I'm interested to see how this is going to work. The elementary principal did say that I was probably the busiest person and that I'd basically given up before school, during school, and sometimes after school by accepting this job. Don't all music teachers give up their lives to an extent. Well at least I'll be busy.
Tomorrow is a new day and I have every intention on finishing a storage room and most of my office. Then I need to tackle the other storage room. I'm still waiting a two more filing cabinets so that I can get more organized. Did I mention that the school can't find my computer? I have a smart board, audio and visual equipment, and a printer but currently no computer. This would be another reason that I didn't feel too motivated to catalog all the band music. I'll get there. I need to finish finding out what general music instruments we have and figure out how we're going to store the percussion equipment. Among other things.
It's a big job but I have no doubt that I can tackle it.

1 comment:

M. Kasch said...

Holy cow! It sounds like you have a huge job ahead of you, but the way you're in there, with ambition and enthusiasm- it's great! You'll feel on top of things before they all begin!
Good luck with the school start!
Marianne