Thursday, June 18, 2009

Good Morning Delaware

Monday (at 3 AM) my mom, friend Beth, and I started on our two week excursion to the East Coast. We stopped in Kirtland, Ohio as our first official stop on the trip. We spent some time there. There is some church history there, thus the reason for the stop. It was kinda cool. I like history, no matter what kind. We continued on through a small section of Pennsylvania, just about the entire state of New York, and stopped for the night in Vermont. New York was beautiful. I've been through most of New York state, but mom and Beth had never been there. I did a majority of the driving that first day.
Day Two - We woke up in the beautiful state of Vermont and hit the road for Ben & Jerry's. The directions weren't as clear as they could have been and we ended up on a scenic highway. There was a sign pointing to Waterbury, the town where Ben & Jerry's is, so we took that way. If you are ever in Vermont, drive Rt 100. It was gorgeous. We saw a couple waterfalls, took some pictures, and enjoyed the drive through the mountains. I'm glad we got off the beaten path and went. I love back roads and this one was amazing. We made it to Ben & Jerry's and took the tour. Nothing like free ice cream. Of course being there you can buy a pint of anything they make. There were flavors I hadn't heard of. Mmmm Ben & Jerry's. After spending too much time in the gift shop and eating a pint of ice cream, for lunch, we started on our way to Maine. It was a beautiful drive through the rest of Vermont and New Hampshire. We drove up to Wiscasset, Maine to a little roadside stand for the best lobster roll in Maine. It was awesome. For those of you that know me, know that I am not a seafood fan. I grew up in Illinois and seafood was anything but fresh. After moving to Alaska, I realized my problem wasn't the seafood, it was the lack of good seafood. The lobster roll and crab cakes we had there were amazing. We then drove out to the ocean, and I played around in it, and then settled for the night.
Day 3 - We explored a little more of Maine, including going to LL Bean. That was fun. The store was huge. We had too much fun there and probably spent a bit too much. We had crab roll from a street vendor that tasted good. Then went to go find a yarn store that mom wanted to see. We made it there but sadly, for mom, they were closed. So we got back on the highway and started our drive down the coast. We drove through Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Conneticut, New York City (well the Bronx), New Jersey, and finally settled for the night in Delaware.
Today we will drive down to Virginia to go see one of my uncles. We'll spend a couple of days there before we head out on the road again. It should be a fun little drive.

No comments: