Friday, June 12, 2009

What spews water all over the cellar.....

If you guessed the hot water heater, then you would be correct. Yesterday I took a shower that was anything but warm, but with 5 people in the house and everything being old, I didn't think too much of it. Well I did wonder why the water wasn't getting warm, but considering I've taken really cold showers before, I just did my thing and got out. It turns out that the water heater had died and was spewing water in the cellar. This is one of those times that having a cellar, which has a sand floor, is a great thing. My parents went and bought a hot water heater last night to remedy the problem. Well after spending hours working on it last night and a little while working on it this morning my dad ran out of time to get it working, so we still have no hot water. I didn't really get the whole story about what isn't working right now, but I believe it has to do with the electrical wiring. Hopefully this problem gets remedied soon, if not, I have friends and relatives who will let me borrow their showers. It's never a dull moment here.
In other news, the road trip is officially (mostly) planned. We depart (my mom, friend beth, and myself) on Monday for Maine. We will be gone for about two weeks. Our stops include Ben and Jerry's, L.L. Bean, Atlanta, a few relatives' homes, and a variety of other places. We will be to 8 states I haven't been to before. I will have been to all of the east coast states by the end of this. Woohoo. It will be a lot of driving and I'll take a lot of pictures, but it should be awesome.
After a few days to recoup and do laundry before I leave for Anchorage for a week and a half. Ok, to help with the confused look on your face....I'm going to go visit friends in Anchorage for 12 days then fly back to Illinois and finish off the rest of my summer break. So yes, I'm flying to Alaska to fly back to Illinois to fly back to Alaska. Just for the record, Anchorage is about 700 miles away from Metlakatla. I leave for that trip on the 3rd of July. I leave to go back to Alaska for the school year on the 10th of August. Are you confused? Don't worry, I still am not sure what time zone I'm in. I've been here for three weeks and I'm still not running on local time, but I'm not really running on Alaska time either. I can't seem to pick a time zone right now. I'll go to bed at about my normal time on Alaska time, which is about 10PM there or 1AM here. Then I'll get up at about 6AM here, which is 3AM in Alaska. Five hours of sleep isn't quite cutting it. I think I may need to take a nap. Oh well.
I will do what I can about posting pictures and news while on the trip. It'll be an adventure.

No comments: